Random Post #2
Random Post #2
My Favorite Caffeinated Beverages
There are a handful of things that I truly cannot imagine my life without - these include my friends and family, my comfort tv shows, good music, and of course, caffeinated beverages. As I finish up my 16th year of schooling (finally), I thought I would rank some of my favorite drinks that truly fueled me throughout the years.
Yerba Mate
I’ve never had a Yerba growing up in Massachusetts – to me it seemed like a new California fad that I thought was great marketing but probably tastes disgusting. I was wrong. When I first moved to California I hesitantly tried my first Yerba Mate and was immediately impressed by its refreshing flavors and subtle sweetness. As someone who despises overly sweet beverages, Yerba has become a new staple in my mini fridge and my favorite caffeinated treat. However, it is important to note that the only two flavors that I drink are: Revel Berry and Peach Revival - the others (especially Tropical Uprising) in my opinion are rather terrible.
Iced Matcha (homemade)
In the past two years I’ve grown a love for making iced matcha lattes at home - with oat milk and honey. I began to make my own because I often felt that store-bought matchas were too sweet and the milk to matcha ratio was off. I like to make them with a lot of ice, a little bit of honey, and a good amount of matcha to keep the drink still somewhat bitter. My grandmother was also a tea-ceremony professor in Japan which makes me think that making a good matcha is also in my DNA.
Espresso (made by my roommate’s beloved espresso machine)
My roommate Malia got an espresso machine for her birthday last year and this was a pivotal day for all of us. Every morning I wake up to the smell of at least one of my roommates making coffee in the living room - so maybe it's not necessarily about the quality of the coffee but the idea of us all hanging out together in the morning. Nonetheless, her milk frother and espresso machine are my favorite kitchen gadgets in my household at the moment.
Alani Nu
I am very aware of how bad these energy drinks are for my health - however, in desperate moments such as finals week, early morning gym sessions, or a dreadful drive to work - sometimes it is my only option. I try my best not to reach for it as often as I used to - but my favorite flavor is either Cosmic Stardust or Juicy Peach. They taste like liquid candy in a can.
Looking into the future, I know that I will continue to rely on caffeinated beverages through all of my stages of life. I look forward to (hopefully) stop drinking energy drinks like Alani Nu and Celsius and begin finding healthier alternatives that still gets the job done - any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Hey Eari! I just read through your blog post and was very intrigued into your reviews into the different forms of caffeine you consume. As a caffeine connoisseur myself, I found your reviews to be super insightful. Personally for me, I feel that I have undergone a change in my caffeine consumption patterns. In my first two years of university, my primary source of consumption would be energy drinks like Alani Nu and Celcius especially because they taste great, are convenient, and had the perfect kick. However, being an upperclassmen now, I started to transition into to more coffee based sources. Not only have my taste buds grown to like the bitter taste but there is also something therapeutic about consuming a cup of coffee which cannot be replicated.
ReplyDeleteHey Eari! First off, I don't think I knew you were from Massachusetts but thats so cool to here because I'm also from there! Secondly, I felt the exact same way about Yerba Mate. I don't think I had Yerba Mate until I moved to LA and I adore it. My two favorite flavors are the Peach Revival and Berry Lemonade because they have the least sugar- I love the subtle sweetness in them and they are so energizing and refreshing! I also dislike a lot of their other flavors like you said. I also love Iced Matcha and Espresso (and use my roommates espresso maker as well lol) and sometimes I will give in and drink a Celsius or Alani drink even though I know they're horrible for you, sometimes I just need as much caffeine as possible and thats a quick and easy way to get it!
ReplyDeleteHey Eari,
ReplyDeleteThis was a super interesting post to read. Like yourself, I am also a huge espresso fan so its awesome to hear that your friend's espresso machine and hobby brought you guys a communal time in the morning. Also if you get the chance try out traditionally prepared Mate from Argentina if you ever get the chance, it is a really cool drink as well!
Hi Eari,
ReplyDeleteI also share a love for caffeinated beverages like Yerba Mate and any kind of coffee. I liked how you shared your morning coffee routine with your roommates and how you are exploring healthier alternatives in the future. Overall great post!
Hi Eari! Thank you for the interesting read! I also love iced Matcha (and matcha anything really) for its taste and love the smell of Espresso and other coffees in the mornings because its scent invoke the idea of hanging out with family in the mornings at home. While I have seen a lot of Yerba Mates I haven't quite gotten around to trying them quite yet! I'll have to make sure to try the ones you recommended.
ReplyDeleteHi Eari, I loved reading your post. I also am a big Yerba Mate fan and couldn't agree more with your flavor preferences -- revel berry is the best! I'm also so happy that we can mutually benefit from our nespresso machine!
ReplyDeleteHi Eari! I am a fellow caffeine-addict and was so excited to see the topic of your post. During my internship last summer, my coworker had a sponsorship deal with Yerba Mate and so I was able to have one every morning. I particularly enjoy the orange flavor.
ReplyDelete