Job Description Assignment

 Bloomberg Intern: Reporting on the Tech World 

My job this past summer was probably the most rewarding and enriching professional experience of my life thus far. When I was in kindergarten, my life goal was to become an author or a journalist so I could share stories about the world and how it impacts people and communities. As a Bloomberg intern, I reported daily on the world regarding the tech industry and followed stories that primarily focused on the most overused term of 2023: Artificial Intelligence. The words “data-driven journalism” may not appeal to the general public, but I promise you, it is way more enticing than it may seem. 


A Bloomberg intern first and foremost is thoroughly trained on the renowned Bloomberg Terminal. The “Terminal” is the heart of the company - it is a data-packed platform that Wall Street would probably fall apart without. While the first few weeks of intensive training can be draining, becoming an expert on the terminal becomes a lifeline to carrying out important tasks. The finance and tech world is rapidly changing, thus, it is critical that interns are constantly up to date with the news and numbers. Breaking news is written up and published in a matter of seconds - with absolutely no errors or typos - so as a Bloomberg intern, your job is to watch all the experts in awe, and then do the best you can.


There are three descriptions that briefly sum up the duties of a Bloomberg intern:

  • Bustling

  • Expeditious

  • Resilient


Bustling

The Bloomberg newsroom can be a chaotic place to be - especially as an intern - you will sit in meeting to meeting, covering fifteen stories at once, and pitching story ideas on a daily basis. Having 30+ tabs open on your laptop will become the new normal, and your inbox will overflow on a daily basis. A “beat” in journalistic terms refers to specialized reporting, and as an intern on the “tech beat,” one must be up to date with all of the latest news in the tech sector from OpenAI’s newest statements to HPE’s updated cloud systems - as well as the newest AI dating apps.


Expeditious

As aforementioned, Bloomberg articles are primarily regarding the financial sector and numbers that change every second. Thus, there is no time for an intern to dilly-dally and draft a story with an unlimited amount of time. With accuracy and speed, interns will read the earnings reports for various companies and publish them on the terminal, rallying information to stockholders and investors who make split-second decisions. Even the slightest number changes or shifts will result in an entirely new article. For that reason, while efficiency is critical, accuracy may supersede its importance. 


Resilient

Pitching a new story might be one of the most daunting tasks for a Bloomberg intern, but parenthetically, it is also the most rewarding. In journalistic terms, "pitching" refers to outlining ideas and angles to approach a story that is compelling enough to be published. Roughly 90% of pitches will fail, and you will wonder why you got hired in the first place. You will delete countless numbers of drafts that you spent hours on - just remember - it is never personal. It can be daunting, pitching ideas to editors who have written award-winning stories, or even finding angles into a topic as complex as generative artificial intelligence. Nonetheless, it is crucial that interns stay resilient and continue pitching story ideas - eventually one will hit the jackpot.


Passive Sentences: 0%

Flesch Reading Ease: 46

Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 10


Comments

  1. Hi Eari, I really enjoyed reading your post! Interning for Bloomberg sounds like a fascinating place to work and reporting on AI and tech stories sounds super interesting. In your post I thought your word choice was excellent and you did a great job of emphasizing the high speed environment of the company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eari! That's so cool that you were able to report on emerging topics in tech like AI -- it sounds like a great environment to expand your network and pick up new skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eari! This sounds like such a cool job! I liked how you incorporated the vocabulary you learned as an intern and explained what they meant. I thought your wording was great and like how you included some of your takeaways from the different elements of your work as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eari, this sounded like such a cool experience. I like how you explained certain jargon to help the reader understand your role in your internship better. Really like the layout of your blog - narrative flowed really well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eari, it is so impressive that you were a Bloomberg Intern! But especially as a journalist/reporter intern. This role sounds much harder than I ever expected and I have so much more respect for reporters and journalists- I don't know how you do it! To be able to write so much so efficiently and accurately in such a short amount of time, while juggling so many other tasks just seems to daunting and I am in awe of what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eari, working at Bloomberg sounds like such an interesting internship! I liked how you described three different character traits that are important for success on the job. It sounds like the role was very stressful and chaotic, but a great learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Eari,

    It was very interesting to read about your experience working for Bloomberg. It is really nice to know that someone else has experienced the fast paced that is the entertainment industry. You described the position very well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Eari,

    It was very exciting to read your post. I was immediately captivated by the title “Bloomberg Intern: Reporting on the Tech World” because it is a job I have always been curious about. I am sure it was an amazing experience because the way you wrote about it transmitted passion and excitement to the reader. On top, I find it fascinating that you were able to focus on something like AI, that is continuously evolving and being updated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How the Week Organizes and Tyrannizes Our Lives - Extra Credit Assignment

Random Post #2

Investment Proposal Draft