Who You Are - Assignment #1
1. Describe where you come from:
Hi everyone, I'm Eari and I come from both Boston and Kyoto, Japan. The two vastly different cultures raised me into appreciating different cultures and customs - it has also cultivated a unique sense of self within me. I am a senior at USC studying political science with a minor in law and public policy.
2. Tell me where you're going:
In the future I hope to attend law school to achieve my ultimate goal of becoming a lawyer. I will be working as a legal assistant after graduation to gain some experience and expertise in the field that I plan on dedicating my life to.
3. Tell me how you plan to get there:
I plan to continue my education and nurturing my curiosity in the legal field by being disciplined and engaged. Though I am anxious about the hard work and time that it will take for me to accomplish my dreams, I am just as excited and prepared for what is to come.
4. How are you like your parents:
I am like my mother - kind, selfless, and curious
I am like my father - strong-willed, stubborn, and loves loud music
5. How are you unlike your parents:
I am unlike my mother - confrontational and I hate cilantro
I am unlike my father - flexible and can laugh at my own mistakes
6. Have you developed your own expectations for yourself, or if you were honest, would you say you're operating under someone else's expectations?
My parents raised me without many guidelines - thus most of my responsibilities and expectations were instilled in me through myself. As a first generation college student, I feel responsible for reaching milestones and working hard for the opportunities that my parents did not have. As an older sister, I feel the need to continuously be a role model for Mo, my 16 year old sister, who, to be honest may be my greatest motivating factor.
7. Who, other than a relative, serves as a model for you of someone who lives life with great passion and personal responsibility?
My best friend Allison, who I've known since I was 2 would be my biggest role model in life. I look up to her selflessness and endless understanding towards every person and every story she encounters. When I am feeling particularly negative about my life or the world - she is the person I always need to talk to.
8. What wild animal do you feel a special connection with, and why?
Manatees have always been one of my favorite animals - I'm not exactly sure why - but I love how gentle and giant they are. I also think it's cool and slightly comical that they were mistaken as mermaids once upon a time.
9. Describe a significant childhood encounter with a tree or plant -
I remember walking through the bamboo forest in Japan when I was a kid and was enthralled by its beauty and endlessness. My mom told me stories about babies appearing from the bamboo trees when they got cut down - while I don't believe that anymore - it was a fascinating story I never forgot.
Sun Sign: Cancer
Moon Sign: Libra
Rising: Libra
Hi Eari,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you are already on your way to achieving your goals as a lawyer. As long as you stay disciplined and focused on your goals I am sure that you will reach that goal.
I think it is really wholesome that you look to be a role model for your younger sister Mo. As the youngest sibling in my family, I can genuinely say that my older siblings are my biggest role models alongside my parents. Hearing that you are actively looking to be that for your younger sister is awesome.
Hi Eari! It is so exciting to hear that you are from Boston! I grew up in the suburbs of Boston (Melrose and Lynnfield) and I feel like it is a little uncommon to hear someone from USC being from MA so it is always nice to hear! What part of Boston are you from? Also, your memory of walking through a bamboo forest sounds amazing and beautiful! That is something I would love to do someday.
ReplyDeleteHello Eari! It is really cool that you want to become a lawyer some day! What made you interested in law? Was there a particular event or experience that inspired you? Out of curiosity, what type(s) of law are you considering going into? Also what type of music do you like to listen to? Is there a shared artist or song you and your dad like to listen to together? Also, I love your story about the bamboo forest! It is such a sweet and cute story that I'll think about the next time I see bamboo.
ReplyDeleteHi Eari! I'm so impressed that you plan on being a lawyer! Can I get your number in case I need you in the future? I also love Manatees and very much enjoyed your added commentary that they used to be mistaken as mermaids -- I had no idea! The bamboo forest sounds so beautiful and I would definitely not be able to forget that story either.
ReplyDeleteHi Eari. I was very interested in reading about your experience while being raised in two different cultures, I am sure it has influenced the unique person that you are. I really admire the big plans you have for your future. It's great that you dream big and work for your goals to become a reality. It will be amazing. I was also interested in hearing about your love for manatees. I think they are incredible animals and would love to learn more about them.
ReplyDelete