Book 2: Post #1

Book 2: 
Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core 


For the second book, I chose Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core of Calm, Strength, and Happiness by Dr. Rick Hanson. This book specifically appealed to me because one of the factors I truly value in someone (including myself) is having a strong core that cannot be easily influenced by others and a shifting society. To me, resilience is highly indicative of one’s character - it is not merely the capacity to rebound from adversity but also the ability to fortify oneself proactively against future challenges. Resilience may be widely associated with “strength,” and while that may be partly true, I think that true resilience also requires an element of social awareness, humility, and grit.

I really liked the way that Hanson structures the book around what he calls the "Four Pillars of Well-Being": Recognizing, Resourcing, Regulating, and Relating. Each pillar represents a key area of personal development essential for building resilience. The “Recognizing” section deals with the importance of mindfulness and self-awareness. The “Resourcing” pillar emphasizes the need to build internal and external resources, such as positive emotions and supportive relationships, that can act as a buffer against stress. “Regulating” discusses the tools for managing one’s own emotional responses and fostering self-control. “Relating” focuses on the social aspect of resilience, including empathy, intimacy, and assertiveness. His use of anecdotes, exercises, and evidence-based techniques is easy to follow and prompts the reader to truly reflect - effectively combining the 'why' with the 'how' of resilience training.

Oftentimes I am daunted by the idea of “self-help books'' because they ask us to dig or reflect on things that I may not be entirely comfortable with. However, there's a warmth to his writing that makes the scientific aspects approachable, and when he delves into the mindfulness and self-awareness practices, it is carried with a sense of calm assurance which makes this book more compelling and less daunting. The exercises are not just tasks but more like an invitation to a deeper understanding of oneself, and I’ve personally felt that engaging with them can be both an emotional and profoundly rewarding experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How the Week Organizes and Tyrannizes Our Lives - Extra Credit Assignment

Random Post #2

Investment Proposal Draft